Here are the methods I use to draw my portraits. There are many other ways to draw, but I find that these work best when trying to achieve a realistic looking image. These tips can also be applied to any other kind of drawing. Enjoy! Hope this helps
1. Outline an area before you start shading it. It will make it much easier when you shade it.
2. Start shading dark areas first, then work your way into the lighter areas.
3. To shade light areas, rotate your pencil in tiny, gentle, circular motions.
4. BLEND BLEND BLEND!! It will make your picture look a lot more cleaner & smoother. Use a tissue or a blending stick.
5. Use a mechanical pencil for detailed areas such as the eyes and hair.
6. To create white wisps of hair: using a sharp object (such as a dead pen), scratch the paper. Then, when you shade over it, the scratched portion will remain white, giving off the effect of white hair.
7. Try drawing upside down. Seeing it in a different perspective really helps!
8. Do not skimp on the details. They are what make your picture beautiful.
9. HAVE PATIENCE--> this is key to drawing.
10. PRACTICE. This is not a lie--> it really helps!
HHAHA! i will try :3
Thank you, I'm trying to put together a last minute portfolio and you're the bomb for making this!! <3
thank you!! these tips are amazing! it really helps when you are someone, such as myself, who has no idea how to approach a portrait drawing ^^
This is very helpful. Thanks.
Thanks soo much for the tips. I shaded Yoseob while I drew him but next time i want to take a different approach and outline first.^^
Thank you so much for the tips! I was like O___O when I saw your Taylor Swift artwork but this journal is making me draw more. TY!
Oh i also use the "upside-down" style sometimes it really helps to see the porpotions better because then u focus on the negative spaces instead of the outlinest ^^ i think all of these tips are really helpful for some one who don't know about portrait drawing! i also learned some things by similar tips from other pages i love ur drawings by the way! they're so beautiful! ^^
yes, upside down technique is so helpful! And thank you for your comment! ^^ I hope these tips can help people out too.
thanks for the tips ^_^
im soooo lacking #9 lol
im soooo lacking #9 lol
np! Don't worry, if u find joy in drawing you will be able to gain some patience
Thank you, I'll use these next time I draw a portrait! ^^