Here are the methods I use to draw my portraits. There are many other ways to draw, but I find that these work best when trying to achieve a realistic looking image. These tips can also be applied to any other kind of drawing. Enjoy! Hope this helps
1. Outline an area before you start shading it. It will make it much easier when you shade it.
2. Start shading dark areas first, then work your way into the lighter areas.
3. To shade light areas, rotate your pencil in tiny, gentle, circular motions.
4. BLEND BLEND BLEND!! It will make your picture look a lot more cleaner & smoother. Use a tissue or a blending stick.
5. Use a mechanical pencil for detailed areas such as the eyes and hair.
6. To create white wisps of hair: using a sharp object (such as a dead pen), scratch the paper. Then, when you shade over it, the scratched portion will remain white, giving off the effect of white hair.
7. Try drawing upside down. Seeing it in a different perspective really helps!
8. Do not skimp on the details. They are what make your picture beautiful.
9. HAVE PATIENCE--> this is key to drawing.
10. PRACTICE. This is not a lie--> it really helps!